On-Demand Webinar: 2021 Mid-Year California Employment Law Update (6-18-21 Webinar Recording)
Program Duration: 2 hours
Registration Fee: $50 per registrant. Clients of Hixson Nagatani LLP may register free of charge by entering the promo code: HNFIRMCLIENT. Registrants who previously paid to attend the live version of this webinar may register for the on-demand webinar free of charge by entering the promo code: PAIDFORLIVE. Promo code eligibility will be reviewed for all registrants before approving the registration.
Watch this in-depth 2-hour webinar to catch up on a wide range of important new legal developments for California employers. We cover topics including:
- Pay During COVID-19 Related Leave: We’ll review the complex array of pandemic emergency leave laws that remain in effect, including California’s Senate Bill 95 (requiring supplemental paid sick leave), expanded federal emergency sick leave and FMLA leave under 2021 amendments to the Family First Coronavirus Protection Act, and paid leave required by Cal-OSHA’s COVID-19 Prevention Emergency Temporary Standards. We’ll also provide a model policy template for COVID-19 related leaves under the emergency regulations.
- COVID-19 Work Safety Issues: Review and updates to Cal-OSHA requirements and guidance for workplace safety; EEOC and California Department of Fair Employment & Housing guidance on inquiring about and/or requiring vaccination; Santa Clara County’s recent mandate to determine vaccination status of personnel.
- Hiring: As the pandemic subsides and hiring surges, we’ll review critical do’s and don’ts with respect to hiring, such as: essential hiring notices and agreements; worker classification upon hiring (e.g., employee vs. contractor, overtime exempt vs non-exempt); legal pitfalls and agreements regarding background checks; special risks when hiring an employee from a competitor (e.g., non-competes, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements).
- Workplace Violence Prevention: In the wake of a recent workplace mass shooting in San Jose, we’ll review Cal/OSHA Guidelines for Workplace Security.
- Notable Employee Jury Verdicts: Including an $11 million jury verdict for an IBM manager allegedly terminated in retaliation for raising concerns of racial discrimination, and for allegedly unpaid sales commissions.
- Wage & Hour Law Update: Review of minimum pay requirements for exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Leaves of Absence: Expansion of the California Family Rights Act (“CFRA”) to require employers with 5 or more employees (previously 50+ employees) to provide eligible employees with legally protected family and medical leave; expansion of CFRA leave requirements for all covered employers; and review of necessary handbook and leave notice letter updates.
Registrants will be able to download several handouts (by clicking the gotwebinar handouts icon), including a handout of the slides, and several model forms related to the program topics.
This is an edited recording of a webinar presented by Ray Hixson,Brian K. Nagatani, and Mary Wang on June 18, 2021. Please note that the webinar does not address changes in the law since the original program date. Please also note that the webinar provides only general information about the law, and does not constitute legal advice. Companies or individual seeking legal advice should retain counsel.
Please note that HR and attorney continuing education credits are not available for watching this recorded program.
Registration Fee: $50 per registrant. Clients of Hixson Nagatani LLP may register at no charge by entering the promo code: HNFIRMCLIENT. Registrants who previously paid to attend the live version of this webinar may register for the on-demand webinar free of charge by entering the promo code: PAIDFORLIVE. Promo code eligibility will be reviewed for all registrants before approving the registration.