On-Demand Webinar: Employment Law 101 for Supervisors: Performance Management & Terminations (8-26-21 Webinar Recording)
Program Duration: 95 minutes
Registration Fee: $40 per registrant
Although California law only requires employers to provide training to supervisors on the subject of preventing sexual harassment and abusive conduct, employers should also ensure that their supervisors know basic employment law requirements and best practices with respect to a variety of other important topics. Following best practices for managing employee performance is not only essential to career development and productivity, it is also important to reduce legal risks if and when it becomes necessary to terminate an employee for performance reasons. This presentation reviews:
- Common mistakes managers make with performance management, and how they can increase the risk of legal claims for “wrongful termination.”
- Why are wrongful termination lawsuits so common despite the doctrine of “at-will” employment, and despite the common practice of offering severance agreements to terminated employees?
- Do’s and don’ts for performance reviews, and performance improvement plans (a model performance improvement plan template will be provided).
- How to handle termination meetings.
- What to say or not say about terminated employees (including in response to reference inquiries or requests).
- Special legal considerations for layoffs, and misconduct-based terminations.
- What permits an employee to resign and claim unlawful “constructive discharge,” and how to avoid constructive discharge claims.
Registrants will be able to download handouts (by clicking the gotwebinar handouts icon), including a handout of the slides and two model forms related to the program topics. In addition, a training certificate form is provided to allow trainees to self certify completion of the training.
This is an edited recording of a webinar presented on August 26, 2021 by attorney Ray Hixson who is a partner of the law firm Hixson Nagatani LLP. Hixson Nagatani LLP advises and represents employers in a wide range of employment law matters. Mr. Hixson has practiced employment law for 26 years, and is known for his engaging style of presentation.
Please note that the webinar does not address changes in the law since the original program date. Please also note that the webinar provides only general information about the law, and does not constitute legal advice. Companies or individual seeking legal advice should retain counsel.
Registration Fee: $40 per registrant.